YSI logo

YSI logo

Monday, January 17, 2011

Childhood memories of syn

My first memory of syn is in kindergarten. I was 5. We were sitting on the floor and Mrs. Cummings was teaching us how to spell the word "out". We recited a little phrase to help us remember: "O-U-T spells out, and out you must go!" I remember seeing O-U-T as gold-grey-green.

My next memory happened when I was probably 7 or so. I was colouring with my friend Hilary with crayons. One crayon sticks out in my memory: it was a pale pinkish-orange (kind of like my N, but pinker) and it was called "Annabelle." I remember loving that crayon since the colour fit the name.

For as long as I can remember, I drew cats yellow-orange and dogs brown because cat was yellow-orange and dog was brown.

I remember sitting in the backseat on a family trip and listening to "Does Your Mother Know" by Abba, and I saw a white background with lots of coloured shapes on it. This is one of the only music-syn memories from my childhood.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You are so lucky to have such early memories of your syn! I'm jealous. The first time I ever remember noticing my syn was when I was 14 and my dad showed me a documentary on it. Not only was it the first time I'd heard of syn, but it was also the first time I even knew I had it.

    Apparently my dad remembers one time when I was in kindergarten where I mentioned something syn-related (of course, he didn't know that then), but I don't remember it. We were learning the alphabet and had a worksheet where we got to color the letters in and who knows what else. He said I was coloring the letter A and said something about it having to be a certain color. But, again, not my first memory of syn.

    ReplyDelete